This is a cover that will launch a new series. We are looking to try and keep a similar feel to the previous series, so the design should be slightly pulp/noir.
There will be several books in this series and we’d hope to do something consistent with colours, for example, they could all be black, white and red or yellow, white and red.
We have the possible tagline “where there’s pain, there’s gain” which could be included on the cover. However, this should only be included if there's space. If the design looks too text heavy then please don't include the tagline.
1. Colour schemes - as mentioned we like 3 colour combos - in particular:
black background with red and white foreground
Red background with white and black foreground
Yellow background, with red and black foreground
Where at all possible, please use the same shades of red, black and white as used on the previous four books. (Shown in brief or just search Caimh on amazon)
If you have any ideas that need to step outside these colours that's fine.
2. Font - while we'd like to use the previous font (Gilligan's Island) we are also more than happy to not use it if another font works better. As Disaster Inc is like a company name, a thicker more 'business-like' font might work better. Or if there's a font that better conveys Disaster, feel free to use it.
3. We have some great designs featuring the New York skyline and if you've any interesting takes on it, we'd still like to see it.
Other concepts we'd like to see are:
• A very simple, book title on top, author name on bottom, with either a single symbol or a row of three symbols in the middle. From this selection: handgun, dollar sign, hurling stick, pint of Guinness (which won't work on a black background obviously), a cup of tea, a hotdog in a bun. You could either try putting the strapline above the author's name or lose it altogether.
• Or, related to the suggestion in A - we could try something like an apple with a lit fuse coming out of it or a dollar sign or a dollar bill on fire. Any interesting image that could convey Wall Street Financial crime etc. would be great.
• Typography - anything interesting featuring the name and feel free to angle it up or down the page or even have it vertically on the page - as long as it clearly still says Disaster Inc.
Most importantly, it will need to work as a thumbnail on Amazon as that is how readers will most likely first come into contact with it.
The author's name has to be clear as it is on the other 4 books - as that is a massive part of the brand.
Please don't show the back cover or a 3D render - we're are only interested in the front cover at the moment.