I’m looking for a redesign of my novel’s cover to reflect current trends and marketability. A copy of the current cover is attached to the design brief. The design should reflect a book, aimed at 17+ female readers, that is both serious and uplifting. I will need ebook and print versions of the cover (paperback — sizing attached).
Eighteen isn’t too young to run your life into the ground, but it’s not too old to fix it, either. The desire for change drives Willa Kirk from St. John’s, Newfoundland back to her hometown of Smiths Falls, Ontario, away from her mistakes and the place where her sister died. She’s looking for a place to settle and rebuild, but Jem Harper just wants to get out of town, back to the life he knew before cancer. By letting the tragedies in their lives define them, they both die a little more every day. Welcome to the wake.
I’m looking for a cover design with:
- Bold typography that takes precedence over images/photos.
- Contemporary photos of couples. Silhouette faces, faces turned away, obscured somehow.
- Palette of blues, greens, purples, whites preferred, but open to any color combination you can make look inviting to readers. Looking for an overall bright design.
- Open to considering photo-based designs or illustrated designs.
- Author name does not need to take up much space.
A list of my top comp covers is attached.
The title word “wake” is used symbolically to mean waking up to the realities of one’s changing life, and also a funeral wake for the things of the past. This novel relies heavily on themes of rebirth. Other symbols that pop up frequently are music, soup, and fingerless gloves.
The book features two teenage protagonists, one female and one male. The male protagonist is a recovering cancer patient who prefers knitted hats to a bare head. The female protagonist is described as blonde, curly-haired, and always wearing fingerless gloves. It’s set in a small town in Canada.