We're looking for a paperback / ebook cover for the second book in the popular Krinar Chronicles series. The first book, Close Liaisons, was published in early October and is doing well on Amazon, both in terms of sales and reviews. The second book, Close Obsession, is expected to be released within a couple of months and is a continuation of Close Liaisons. Ultimately, there will be at least three more books in this series, as well as books in other genres (Fantasy/SciFi and Contemporary Romance) published through our company. We are looking to find someone who will be our go-to designer for all the books.
Here are the specifications for this design:
Title: Close Obsession
Subtitle: The Krinar Chronicles: Volume 2
Author: Anna Zaires
Genre: Paranormal/SciFi Romance
Target Audience: Adult women + anyone who liked both Twilight and Fifty Shades
Here's the link to the first book in the series: http://www.amazon.com/Close-Liaison…B009MNXWMO
The back blurb for Close Obsession is still a work in progress, but the basic premise of the series is as follows:
A few years ago, Earth was invaded by an ancient, highly advanced civilization from a planet called Krina. The Krinar (the Ks, as humans call them) are beautiful, powerful, immortal, and have vampiric tendencies. It turns out that they are actually responsible for the origin of life on Earth, having planted DNA here billions of years ago, and they also guided human evolution, essentially creating us as a species (which explains why we look like them). Unlike in the typical invasion movies, the Ks have no desire to destroy or enslave us. They definitely implemented some changes since they arrived (i.e. banned industrial agriculture and other harmful environmental practices), but for the most part, they leave humans alone and live in their own settlements (K Centers). People are still frightened of them, however, because of the vampire rumors and because the Ks can be very brutal if opposed. The human governments have signed a Coexistence Treaty with the invaders, but there is still some resistance among the human population.
In book 1, Mia - a regular NYU college student - met one of the Ks (Korum) in Central Park in Manhattan. He decided that he wanted her, and she ended up getting involved - rather reluctantly - in a very steamy affair with him. The entire story took place in New York (hence the NY imagery on the first book's cover).
In book 2, Mia is now with Korum in a K Center (alien colony) that's located in Costa Rica. She learns more about her lover, the Krinar society and culture, and there's an unexpected villain. The romance between them deepens, becomes very intense - hence the title of the book.
In terms of elements for the cover:
1) We originally wanted to preserve the look & feel of the first book, since the second is a sequel. However, since we're switching cover designers, we realize that might be difficult. You can either try to emulate the first cover in terms of fonts, DNA design on the cover, layout, etc., or you can give us something entirely different. If we love your design for book 2 a lot more than book 1's design, we might consider changing book 1 as well (although we do like it quite a bit right now and are getting good feedback on it).
2) The background should be dark rather than light. We're open to different colors.
3) The aliens in the book are known as the Krinar - humans call them Ks, for short. The first book had a big letter K on the cover to reflect that. For book 2, we want less emphasis on the letter K. It can either be there, faded into the background, or it could be gone completely.
4) The story takes place mostly in Costa Rica. There's the beach, the ocean, lots of trees, etc. You can try to incorporate some of those elements on the cover.
5) There could be some kind of DNA motif (since the Ks essentially created humans). In book 1, it's very subtly woven throughout the cover (not the helix, but the smudges throughout the cover). We like it, but you're welcome to do something different.
6) For this book, we think a slightly sexier cover makes sense. We don't mind faces & bodies, as long as they're done in such a way that still leaves a lot to the imagination. We like the subtle outline of kissing figures in Book 1, but one can't really see it in the thumbnail on Amazon. For book 2, we'd like the romantic elements to be more visible, even in a thumbnail format, while still not being cheesy or vulgar in any way. We also don't want to take away from the readers' ability to imagine the characters as they want.
7) We are very particular about how the faces/bodies on the cover should look, if you choose to incorporate them. The girl is small, skinny, with dark curly hair and blue eyes. Her face is also thin with delicate features. Think grown-up Emma Watson (Hermione from Harry Potter) with blue eyes and dark curly hair. The guy is tall, muscular, has golden / bronzed skin, black hair, and amber-colored eyes. We don't think we want his face pictured on the cover, unless it's very vague. It's best to leave that to the imagination of our female readers.
To summarize, the cover look we're going for is subtly sexy, with some scifi feel to it (not overwhelming, though). It should convey passion, romance, mystery, and yet have a certain almost urban fantasy feel to it. We tend to like clean, modern fonts. Do feel free to use your imagination; we're happy to provide guidance and feedback throughout the process.
Attached is a logo that can be used for the paperback cover. It was used in book 1.