GOAL: I have a new series coming out, and I need their covers designed.
There are currently 4 books in the series, so they would require the same look/ feel but with slightly different elements highlighting the different themes.
I currently have two front covers (attached) but they don't really tie into one another, so I'd like to start again with the design.
THEME OF THE SERIES: The series is a fairly gritty action/adventure/sci-fi romance.
TEXT ON THE BOOK:
Title: Tagan's Child
Name: Amelia Ford
Strap line: A visit from a stranger changes everything...
THE COVER SHOULD:
• Reflect the sci-fi element of the story, but I also want it to appeal to a female audience as there is an underlying romantic theme.
• The cover should strike the balance between an engaging cover that hints to it's other world themes, but one that also shows there is a romantic element.
• The series is fast paced and gritty in places so while it has a romantic theme I'd like to avoid cutesy images of couples holding hands.
I consider my books to be the thinking-woman's chick-lit.
Colour is important - moody rather than light, fluffy and pink.
– The challenge here is to reflect the love story between the main characters, but at the same time allude to the difficult inner journey the main female character faces on all levels .
ABOUT THE SERIES:
The book is about a twenty-six year old woman, Sophie, who after the death of her sister, becomes guardian to her eight year old nephew, Toby (the child's father died before the boy was born).
A year down the line, when their lives are just beginning to settle down, Sophie is paid an unexpected visit from a tall, handsome stranger, Ahran, who tells Sophie that her nephew is not quite who or what she thinks he is - he is half human, half Ramian and heir to the Ramian throne.
She learns that Ramia is an unknown parallel universe and Ramians are super-evolved human beings (they are tall and have heightened abilities e.g. sight, hearing, speed, strength). She is also told that an enemy of Toby's father has learnt of Toby's existence and his life is in danger.
Sophie is sceptical but is forced to put her trust in Ahran (Toby's Ramian, military-trained uncle) when Toby is kidnapped. Ahran suspects Toby has been taken back to Ramia and takes Sophie through a portal, marked by an old oak tree in the wood behind her house, to his homeland.
They begin a perilous journey which takes them deep into Ramia as they attempt to find the boy. During their journey Ahran and Sophie fall for one another, however, Sophie fears that not only will they not find Toby, but because of their differences, their relationship is doomed.
ABOUT THE CHARACTERS:
• The MALE lead is superhuman, tall and athletically built.
• The FEMALE lead is blonde and quite mousy to begin with but she finds an inner strength during her ordeal and ends up pretty feisty.
THINGS I DON'T WANT:
NO tacky bare-chested male frontals that many romance novels seem to have.
NO cutesy holding hand/ cliched images.
Other front covers I like:
Veronica Roth's Divergent series http://about-books.secret-paths.com/?p=301
Some of Jamie McGuire's front covers e.g. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/…l-oblivion
I am also fairly happy with the cover of my second book Tagan's Chance, see attached, but would like the first and other books to tie-in.
Hope this helps.