I need a brand new eye-catching cover for my literary thriller, From the Storm. I originally published the book in 2012 and since then it has had a number of different covers (see attached).
I'm looking for something that will help the book stand out from the crowd.
Here is a link to the book on Amazon:
And here is the blurb:
In the near future, a young man seeks adventure in the French Alps. Lost, feverish and caught in a freak snowstorm, he finds refuge in a lonely mountain farm where he stumbles upon a young girl’s diary from eighty years before. Claudette tells of farm life disrupted by a blizzard and the arrival of a stranger with a terrible injury. With her father sick, the eight-year-old chronicles her struggle to look after the farm, and its unwanted guest, alone.
In present day London, Joseph Martin has screwed up. Once he was a lethal assassin, the best gun-for-hire. Now, in his autumn years, even he has to admit he is losing it. His failing skills have landed him in trouble with a dangerous client. Only the successful completion of an eerily familiar mission can save his skin; a mission which takes him into deepest Asia, where he must face a past he has long tried to forget.
He’s not the only one on the road in Asia. London city boy Ashley Gritten is travelling. Shedding the challenges of his privileged life in Kensington, he’s off to ‘find himself’ in the drugs, girls and debauchery of the backpacker trail. But something else finds him. Something much, much worse.
Who would have thought that a rich kid and an ageing hit man would have so much in common? And what does all of this have to do with Elmo, a pianist on his death bed in Venice?
A dark and humorous story of how selves are lost and lives are found.
The book is told from four different perspectives, in different times and places.
1) The young adventurer, lost in the French Alps (near future)
2) Joseph Martin, a one-legged assassin on a job in South East Asia (present day)
3) Ashley Gritten, a rich city boy backbacking through South East Asia (present day)
4) Claudette, a young, plucky French farm girl forced to care for a stranger with a terrible injury from a car crash (1970s)
I am looking for something that avoids the generic, i.e. no pictures of hitmen with guns or hikers struggling across mountains. I want the cover to tell the reader that they're getting something more than just a thriller.
Here are some themes and settings:
2) South East Asia/jungle
4) Prosthetic Leg
5) Loss of the self to find the self (the book's main thrust)
Some possible directions:
1) Very colourful 'travel' imagery (jungles, beaches, blue sky, vivid)
2) Something that uses pure typography (e.g. Everything is Illuminated)
3) Saul Bass style cutouts
One idea I'm currently pursuing is the first scene from the book, which is a burned out car with mountains and a gathering storm in the background (attached.)
But an idea I'd really like to see executed well would be a focus on the prosthetic leg of the main protagonist, Joseph Martin. Possibly a sketch of the leg, in the style of Da Vinci's anatomical drawings? I'd love to see something classy along these lines.
I've included the following:
1) Previous covers, including the current one (prefix 'previous_')
2) My current direction (current.jpg)
3) Covers from other books with the style I'm after (prefix 'styles_')
4) My author name, as it should appear, rendered as a 4000x400px JPG. It need not be black.
But please don't feel you have to follow these styles - be as creative as you can! I'm happy to send you a free copy of the ebook, or an extract, if you think it would help.