Warning: the following is going to be a bit long, but I wanted to error on the side of providing too many details rather than not enough. Feel free to use or leave what you will. I'm open to any and all of your ideas and creativity.
My debut novel, A Dream of Darkness, is a horror story set in a fictional medieval world. It takes place in the town of Norick, a small community isolated deep in the wilderness that's self-sufficient and is, for all intents and purposes, alone. On the surface, the town seems perfect...but appearances aren't always what they seem. Overall, the story explores the community's encounter with a terrifying supernatural entity living in the woods that surround the valley, but so too does it examine the dark inclinations and impulses of the human heart.
- Printing details:
Trim size: 6" X 9"
Interior: Black and white on 50lb creme paper
Binding: Hardback with matte dust jacket and gray cloth binding
Spine Width: 0.938 inches (23.825 mm)
Weight: 1.525 lb (691.716 gm)
Page Count: roughly 365 pages
List Price: $25.99
- Design details:
-Hardcover with a dust jacket.
- The story is more atmospheric (at least in the first half) than full-blown horror. The tension builds and builds and builds over the course of the novel until, finally, in the last half, it's a full-on nightmare for the characters.
- Central themes are isolation, darkness vs. light, the sins of the past, the myths/legends humanity creates to make sense of reality, adolescence vs. adulthood, dreams and nightmares, the power of evil (both in supernatural forces and in human desires), and, importantly, the beauty (hope) found even in the midst of darkness.
- I'm looking for something that's more abstract. I'm not a huge fan of having characters on the cover (especially in the style of harlequin novels or fantasy books), and would rather have some powerful, abstract imagery that provides a sense of mystery and depth while still conveying some of the themes of the story.
- For the dust jacket, would want the synopsis and About the Author sections on the inside flaps, and leaving the back cover relatively clean (other than the details provided above)
- While the story is dark and definitely falls in the horror category (the main villain is an evil spirit or demon), there's also a sense of hope, particularly when the people of the town come together. Beauty/goodness in the midst of horror/darkness. A central image that keeps returning to me is stars in the night: while the darkness seems overpowering, consuming, the stars still shine, giving hope and light.
- Probably looking for a darker cover, color-wise, but I'm open to other options as well. I know the market typically goes with darker tones, which I'm totally fine with, but I'm also intrigued by the use of non-traditional palettes (maybe something orange? or red? blues?). I'm open to different interpretations and am excited to see what what you all come up with! Ideally, not something too different, but something eye-catching and striking. Again, I lean toward more clean and simplistic styles, but am open to any designs that help capture the themes/tone/story.