eBook: standard for Kindle - I believe ideal dimensions for cover files are 2,560 x 1,600 pixels.
Paperback: 5.06 x 7.81 in, full spine width 0.4625"/11.7475mm, max spine text width 0.3375"/8.5725mm
Regarding the below brief, please note that I am open to different suggestions, as I am not very visually minded myself! The below is an ideal, but if you find the cover looking too busy in your interpretation, please feel free to pare back. The most important features of the below brief are:
- the kanji symbols for dragon and tiger
- Cats and Dragons standing out as a title
- an East Asia-inspired theme
I am looking for a cover that:
• is in keeping with the fantasy genre
• includes East Asian/Japanese stylistic elements – simple block colours are ideal
• Shares stylistic elements with Olly’s Moss’s Harry Potter covers, which can be easily found on Google.
• Features the kanji symbols for dragon and tiger, which are 竜 and 虎. Please use a bold, modern sans serif font rather than a calligraphic font for the kanji symbols. The dragon symbol will be pale orange with a black background and pale orange border. The tiger symbol will be white against a teal background and with no border.
• The scenery should feature desert dunes in the foreground, shifting to scrubland, and finally to forest at the back. Please split the cover vertically into thirds, with the scenery continuing across all three sections. The only exception is the forest, as the trees here will differ in each third. All characters will be silhouettes.
• The left-hand third has a black moon and a dark blue sky. The forest at the back is a broafleaf forest, and there are round yellow fruits on the trees. In the foreground of the desert section, two girls of about nine years old are play-fighting, chasing each other with wooden swords. The girl leading has chin-length hair while the follower has slightly longer hair that is loose. Both wear t-shirts and shorts/trousers.
• The middle section has a yellow moon and a cloudless bright blue sky. The forest section is woodland, and the trees are spindly with no leaves, as though it’s winter. A woman with a long ponytail is standing in the forest, in the process of taking off her glasses. She is calm and threatening – she is about to kill someone in cold blood. She has claws – long, sharp nails as opposed to Wolverine style.
• The right-hand section has a pink moon. The sky is a paler blue with wisps of cloud. The forest section is a thick jungle. In the desert section, a sword is stuck in the sand. A girl with a ponytail sits on a dune beside it. She seems exhausted and unhappy.
I would prefer a serif font for the title (Imprint MT Shadow or similar), and for the subtitle to be smaller than the title.
Ideally, all text to be lower case, but if you have something that looks great with capitals I'm happy to consider it.
A cream/parchment-coloured background.
Blue and pale orange scheme
I would like “dragons” to be stylised in red with the “r” in black.
I have included an initial cover design for the book, so you can see the types of colours I am interested in for the colour palette.
Please make sure the cover pops and attracts attention.
This is the first book in a wider series - so if I love your cover, I'd love to work with you on future projects. :-)