09/22/2019 Back Cover Content:
English for Nail Salons là một cuốn sách được soạn ra dựa trên tinh thần giúp đỡ cộng đồng người Việt Nam phát triển. Với những câu giao tiếp đơn giản, quý vị có thể tiếp thu một cách nhanh chóng và dễ dàng áp dụng vào thực tế. Nội dung trong sách phong phú cùng với nhiều ngữ cảnh thực tế trong ngành Nails Salon.
Thông qua quyển sách này, quý vị sẽ trau dồi và cải thiện được những kĩ năng sau:
• Học cách phát âm như người bản xứ
• Biết cách sử dụng đúng ngữ pháp
• Giao tiếp tốt, tự tin với khách hàng
English for Nail Salons là công cụ hỗ trợ đầu tiên trong việc nâng cao ngoại ngữ, giúp quý vị có cơ hội tăng khả năng thu nhập cho bản thân, cũng như phát triển cộng đồng ngày một vững mạnh.
Update on September 18th, 2 days left on qualifying round:
Dear all designers,
Thank you for the updated submissions. As we are half way through with the qualifying round, there are a couple of details we would like to communicate with you, hoping it will help you perfect your design:
- List of priorities based on their importance
1. The word English
2. The words For Nail Salons
3. 120 Conversational Sentences / 120 Câu Đàm Thoại
4. English - Vietnamese / Anh - Việt
When you design, please keep this in mind. 120 conversational sentences is what this textbook offer. It is the main feature of the book and should be seen at first glance. English - Vietnamese is secondary to 120 Conversational, it should be legible but not dominant.
- Sizing: the textbook will be printed in standard size letter paper (8.5 x 11). It is important that people can read the information on the front cover almost immediately. For that reason, the font size for 120 Conversational and English - Vietnamese should not be too small, or placed on background that makes it hard to read. The reader has to be able to capture all of the messages right away. For that reason, you can reduce the size of English for Nail Salons as needed to make room for the 120 Conversational if needed. There are some submissions that win on the design aspect, but hard to see the 120 Conversational. The English for Nail Salons can be dominant, but does not have to take up all of the space.
- Color theme: At this point, we are letting up with the color theme to make room for creativity. English should carry some blue element and Nail Salons should have some red. But you can use any effect on them. Whether you use radiant, or gradual, or even any type of rainbow effect, it’s fine if it makes the design more lively and attractive. For example, design #26 had a really cool concept of embedding the American flag onto the word English. We are not saying you must do the same thing, but this is one of those creative concepts we enjoy seeing. We would like to see more play with the colors and not restricted. You can also use black font or other colors when needed. It does not have to be red and blue only.
- Concept and creativity: you are welcome to step outside of our brief and submit your own concept. Sometimes, you can think of something so much more amazing than our own vision. If you truly have a great concept, we may choose to go with yours. So please unleash your imagination. Don’t let us hold you back.
Thank you everyone.
Major update: Dear designers, we are thrilled to see great designs coming in. The submitted designs have given us a complete concept of the book. We would like to share with you our vision:
The book will take on two dominant colors: blue and red.
Blue will represent American culture, English language, masculine, strong and patriotic. The fonts used for Blue should reflect these characters.
Red will represent the Nail Salons industry, Vietnamese language, feminine, beauty and glamour. The fonts used for Red should reflect these characters.
We would like the front cover to be Blue dominant with some touch of red. The back cover will be red dominant since the back cover will mainly contain content in the Vietnamese language, with some hints of blue.
You are welcome to use graphics, icons in any color you'd like.
Later, inside the book, we will follow this format. Every English word will either be in Blue or Black. All Vietnamese text will be either red or black. Each page will feature English conversations on the left in blue and black, and Vietnamese translation on the right in Red and black. We feel it is important to mention this so that you can envision how the end book will look like.
We will not feature the authors' names on the cover. We will have a page inside the book to dedicate the book to the team that makes this happen, including the graphic designer if the graphic designer would like to be featured.
On the back cover, we will list the following information in 3 sections (all in Vietnamese language):
1. A quick summary and purpose of the book at the top section (whom the book is designed for)
2. Present the features inside the book, how it is structured
3. List the benefits that the learners will reap from this book.
Last but not least, we realize that an ESL textbook should convey that this is a fun, easy to approach learning, not something intimidating or too serious. So please pour your creativity into making it feel personable and attainable. The designer who captures this spirit most likely will come out ahead.
Update 2: After the initial round with a good number of good looking designs, we have decided to let go of the color theme preference of red, white and blue to enable more creativity. The designers are welcome to pursue any color theme as long as there are elements to feature the american flag. We do want to send a clear message that this course is one way for the learners to appreciate the USA.
Update 1: this text book will contain about 40 pages. Therefore, it will not be a very thick one. When you design, please take this into consideration. This text book will feature 12 lesson plans. Each lesson plan will consist of 2 pages. One page will feature a conversation with some graphics. The other page will have a list of vocabulary and learning tips. Therefore, 24 pages will be dedicated to the 12 lesson plans. The rest of the pages will be index, introduction, informational...
The color theme is the American flag with red, white and blue. Most of the graphics will be in blue on a white background with some text in red to complete the color theme. The color theme along with graphics should reflect a sense of patriotism to the United States. You are welcome to use stars and stripes on or around the book cover.
The design and layout will be inspired by the English For Everyone Series by DK publisher.
Graphics will be related to the Nails Industry, with a few hints of language learning.
As far as the back cover, please feel free to suggest your ideas of what makes the back design look good. If an American flag concept cannot be expressed on the front cover of the book, you can use the back cover to show it. Usually, when the front cover takes on a more formal and professional approach then the back cover is where you can explore more creativity and make it look exciting and attractive.
This is very important:
We are looking for a graphic designer that we will continue to work with on the rest of the book. When you submit your design, please message us and communicate with us whether you are available for continual work or not. This is not a deal breaker, but it is good for us to know what to expect. If you absolutely cannot continue the work, we will have to think if we can get another designer to match up with your style for the inside pages of the book. If you are available to work with us, that'll be best. These are the other areas of design we will need:
- Inside pages (layout, graphics)
- Web graphics
- Flyers, brochures
There may be more as we go.
Last but not least, we may need the final design to be formatted in a couple of different size orientations to be used for our classes. For example, the book design will be in portrait orientation. But for our power point presentation, we may need it slightly adjusted to horizontal so it can fit the power point screen.
We are very responsive and will give feedback on every design. If you have any questions, please feel free to communicate with us.