On the back of the book, please include the testimonials, a space for the barcode, and the publisher's details:
Shadow Wolf Press
In the inside flaps of the book, please supply the following:
1) Inside Left (front of book): The book description
2) Inside Right (back of book): Author bio and pic
Prefered Title Font: no preference, but have been using Freeware font schkorycza
1) We would like the ink density to be at or below 240.
2) This design should be for a 6x9 hardcover book with right and left flaps. Although we will use various printers and distributors, we would prefer you design it for IngramSpark. We have raised the dpi to 600 pixels because we've run into quality issues in the past. If this DPI is too high for you, then please just do your best to create a high-quality product. The file is also in CMYK. If you need to change the file to RGB for the functionality of Photoshop, please do so. Also, feel free to move the barcode to fit your design.
3) We will ask for a layered photoshop file upon completion. We would like the photoshop file to include the following:
a) Layers with the characters on their own, separate layers
b) Text on its own layer(s)
d) The background on its own layer or layers.
e) Any other important/major elements that we haven't spoken of on their own layers.
NO flattened files, please.
3) We will ask for all the names of all fonts you use so we can purchase them. That said, we would prefer if you can stick with free commercial use fonts that can be used in print and media. Again, we would prefer to use schkorycza font at least for the heading.
Look and Feel of the Cover:
Feel of Book: Think Buffy meets Beetlejuice meets Ghostbusters. Humor, investigation, horror, and friends working together. The 'Scooby Gang' are Chester and his friends. I tried for a mixture of Ghostly/Otherworldly/Mysterious and Humorous.
Cover Ideas: Attached is a lot of artwork for the characters which should be an approximation of the characters. Note Chester’s look as I am particular about. Ellen is unfortunately not like I’d like her to be, as she is Vietnamese and the artwork doesn’t reflect this.
I have a few ideas and some scenes to draw from attached later on. Attached are my feelings. I like to be surprised so if there’s a way you can capture the moods inherent that would be amazing.
Cover Idea 1
Setting: Thomas Carver Senior High exterior
Front Matter: Colors: Bright, cheerful. Side of Thomas Carver Senior High wall, at two cornered junctions. BRAD, ELLEN, RONNIE, and ARNIE are looking around the right corner of the building. CHESTER is half in frame, grabbing onto RONNIE's hand with his right hand.
Back Matter: CHESTER's other half and left hand is being held by NOWATA, whose cat GRIMMY is at his feet. The colors are darker, and the sky a little redder. In the distance, to the left, there is a solitary red figure, LOU, and AGENT ROOK/CROWE sitting in a car in an abandoned, dusty, forlorn looking parking lot.
Message of cover: Chester's friends are pulling him forward into the light, and yet he's drawn backwards into old histories and mysteries, caught in the middle between hijinx with his friends and the truth.
John's thoughts: Love this one because it's about Chester and his friends.
Notes: Ellen is actually Vietnamese and this doesn't reflect properly on her character art as-is.
Cover Idea 2
Setting: Interior NOWATA's garage, night
Front Matter: PANDORA box (ancient computer system shaped like a chest) is open, streaming green light up from the bottom of the text. CHESTER and NOWATA are peering into it with equally frightened, intrigued looks, and holding hands. GRIMMY, fluffy evil gray cat, is arched up in a hiss behind them. Title is set in computer-styled font.
Message of Cover: Just illustrates a scene and a little mysterious, green-themed and kind of techno-supernatural horror.
John's thoughts: Not enough focus on his friends, but does illustrate 'gay book' on cover.
Cover Idea 3
Setting: Interior SCHWARTZEN's office.
Front Matter: Goosebumps-styled representation of Schwarzen, half of him in a shadow form with red eyes. Think Snape with stubble and short cut hair and a stroke.
Message of Cover: Sort of an attempt at a creepy-styled comic book like cover, appealing to the boy crowd that likes monsters.
Thoughts: Not sure if this would be good until I'm established considering audience. but I'm open to trying
Other scenes to consider:
There is a summoning scene in the prologue, where they summon Lady Carver, the Deer Lady, from a jar of cultured plasma
There is an amusing scene with a talking cat in a carrier and an interrogation with it with CHESTER and NOWATA.
There is a scene in an abandoned Middle School with a floating Gorgon/Medusa, and CHESTER staring around the corner.
There is a scene with LOU raising himself from the toilet bowl in a shower of blood, very creeptastic…
I hope this helps... or not... lol
But I'm easy to please.