The challenge: have a cover for the second book that's even better than the one for book 1 for which I keep getting great comments.
Title : Le labyrinthe des damnés
Series : La Quête - Tome 2
(Translated, the title would be: The Labyrinth of the damned
Translated series: The Quest – book 2)
Genre: Epic Fantasy
Author : Eric Pépin
Number of pages: 513
Format: 6x9 inches
For the cover, I am open to all ideas, but there are a few things I insist upon:
- The design (arch, border, title, spine) should be similar to the cover of the first novel (provided with the brief) for continuity reasons.
- The logo of the publishing company (Magidémo, provided with the brief) should appear on the spine only.
- The 3 warning logos : L, V, X (provided with the brief)should appear on the back.
- The words (titles, synopsis, author name) should contrast enough to be readable.
The book will be published both as an e-book and a printed book. For each version, a PNG and PDF file are required.
Important: For the printed version, the cut marks must be provided. The printing company requires this.
The tone of the cover should be rather dark and have an adult feel to it. Maybe a grey palette or brownish.
In order to go along with the title, the drawing should maybe be of a scene inside the labyrinth. Instead of torches, the group uses light globes to light their way. They float in the air in front and the back of the group. Maybe a skeleton of a dwarf (without armor and weapon) or a group of hairy green spiders that walk on walls or ghosts.
However, this is only an idea. Like I wrote earlier, I am open to all ideas.
On the back, in addition to the synopsis, there should be a place to put the bar code (provided with the brief) and all three warnings (L, V and X - see attached images)
** Since this is French, make sure not to miss any special characters (é, à, etc.) **
Dans le royaume de l’Eprahna, dans les Terres du Soleil, le tyran Dante règne avec une main de fer depuis le coup d’État qu’il a réussi plusieurs mois auparavant. Cependant, malgré tous ses efforts, son contrôle s’effrite. L’économie du royaume est au point mort et les coffres sont presque à sec. Son salut passe par la capture de Maíread, la princesse du royaume.
Pendant ce temps, celle-ci, aidée d’un groupe d’aventuriers, recherche une arme qui lui permettra de renverser Dante. Celle-ci se trouve dans le temple d’Urithos, un lieu de culte dédié à Galetread, le Dieu de la guerre et de la paix. Le seul problème : personne ne sait vraiment où il se trouve. Avec l’espoir que les Nains puissent répondre à cette question, le groupe tente désespérément de rejoindre Sombranite, la capitale des Nains.
Le jeu du chat et de la souris est commencé. Est-ce que les compagnons trouveront l’artéfact à temps ou est-ce que Dante les capturera et mènera à bien son plan diabolique ? La réponse à cette question et bien d’autres se trouvent dans cette suite palpitante où se mélangent action, magie et créatures fantastiques qui tiendront le lecteur en haleine jusqu’à la dernière ligne.
================= end of synopsis ===============
In order to stimulate your imagination, here’s a brief description of the story and the characters.
In this follow up to book 1, we find the team of adventurers where we left them: trying to reach the temple of Urithos. There, they hope to find a powerful artefact that will help them beat Dante, the invincible, the warrior who went against the will of the gods and usurped the throne of the kingdom of Eprahna, the land of humans.
The only problem: They don’t know where it is! The temple disappeared a millennia ago and all traces of its existence have been either erased or falsified. The only people who might know its true location are the dwarves.
With the men of Dante hot on their tail, the team will go through many hardships and visit many exotic locales, including the dangerous Labyrinth of The Damned from which nobody ever came back alive.
Will the team find the artefact? Will they be able to vanquish Dante? That’s what people will find out in this second book of the series and the end of the first story arc.
The main characters:
- Thom: A ranger and the guardian of the dark forest. He’s been alive for more than five millennia, sustained by the power of the forest, but people would not give him more than 30. He is not very tall, but very built. He has long black hair held together with a red headband. He wears a leather armor and wields a magic weapon that can transform into any weapon he wishes, usually a bow or a set of twin curved blades.
- Maíread: A newly appointed cleric of the order of Fírun and the princess of Eprahna. She is a young brunette. Pretty, but not extremely attractive with brown eyes. She wields a mace and wears a chainmail armor over a royal blue tunic with 3 golden rings on the chest.
- Kohl: Captain of the guard. Tall, very muscular and never smiles. He has short brown hair, no beard and a scar on the left of his face (it goes from the jaw to his left ear). He wears a plate mail armor and is armed with a longsword and a shield.
- R’War: A paladin. Wears a golden plate armor with a red cape and is armed with a longsword and a shield. He is a trug: Basically men with the features of a tiger (head, tail and fur).
- Kalyndr: perhaps the best thief in all of the kingdom. She is athletic with long hair the color of blood. She also has violet eyes. As a member of the thieves guild, she wears an armor of black leather with a large silver belt buckle. She wields daggers and a small sword.
- Ailya : a young female mage of average height. She specializes in attack spells. Human with long blond hair and blue eyes. She wears a white robe and is armed only with her ancient book of spell.
- Windy: another mage. She is half-trug and half-human. She and can change between the two forms at will. Specializes in illusion and protection spells. She is tall for a human and has brown eyes and shoulder-length brown hair. In her trug form, her pelt is a mix of orange, black and white around the eyes.
- Pram: a dwarf cleric. He knows a lot about herbs and potions, but is also a powerful warrior on the battlefield. He has black hair and a long beard. Like Maíread, he is armed with a mace and shield and wears a chainmail armor over a red tunic.
- Dante : A male warrior. He is tall with black hair and a small beard. He is handsome, but has cruel eyes. His armor is dark with a golden dragon and line work. He wears a green cape and has a jade ring. His weapon is a 2-handed sword.