Based on feedback these elements work well:
- A sail, because it implies action
- Me in the cover but not too girlish so the guide appeals to guys too. Also not to dominant. The book is only little (but some) about me. Preferably an action shot and/or wind in my hair
- My face either on the front or backcover to esthablish a connection with the reader
- OCEAN NOMAD must be Bold
- The Complete Atlantic Sailing Crew Guide on top of the design (above Ocean Nomad) OR as a circle / stamp anywhere on the cover with ‘Atlantic’ or ‘Atlantic Ocean’ highlighted
- It’s a guide book including travelogues. The cover should say this. So don't make the cover to technical/textbook but also not too novel roman style.
One voter described this:
"The wind in your hair, lots of action going on. I see the words Atlantic Ocean Nomad first, then I see "sailing crew guide" then I see a woman's name and then How to Catch a Ride. It's a great, logical progression from "hey, wow" to "hey, maybe this is for me" to "I'm buying this!"
This is the landing page of the book where you can get a better feel of what it’s about (look at the text, not the design): http://www.oceannomad.co
- Playful, bright, adventure, fun, active, youthful, epic, outdoor, informative
BIG!! BOLD title. OCEAN NOMAD or
- Font used for the maps in my book: Bell MT. Could maybe work on the backcover?
- Nice bold fonts: Raleway heavy, League Spartan, and SifonnFredoka one
- Nice playful fonts: Selima, Pacifico, Satisfy, Architects daughter
- I find covers with a lot of white also attention grabbing.
- The book will be 6 x 9 inch and has 120.000 words, estimated 200 pages including photos. Printed in colour with many photos, graphs and illustrations.
See here a collection of bookcovers I like and why: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B…TM1QVJveFU
See this folder for photos to use for the frontcover (copyrighted by me) and a selection of photos of me that have my preference: https://drive.google.com/drive/fold…sp=sharing
Here a selection I'd love to see some designs with: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B…2V4TFJrTUk
I have reproductive right for these maps that also are presented in the book (an element of one of these maps may be used and could be fun - very tiny, maybe just on backcover): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B…lQ3YXl3TXc
I have a few ideas and things I like:
- Ocean + a map or globe with (a part of) the Atlantic and the route + a sailing boat or sail somewhere, perhaps a back packer girl (me as a graphic), and very subtle a plastic bottle floating somewhere small on the cover (to highlight ocean conservation aspects)
- Elements of a map, chart, compass, sail, rope (epic style, not playful)
- I like it when the front cover in some way continues to the backcover (perhaps with a sail, or (sailing!) rope, guardrail, pole, map, chart, mast longitude/latitude lines or ocean).
- Back or side shot of me staring to the ocean
- Playful elements may be added, like a coconut in the Caribbean and or a sailing boat on route.
- A slight curve of the globe could be nice.
- I like to see a sail somewhere, can be covering the whole book or supertiny, implying action. I prefer to see 'downwind sailing' with a 'wing in wing' or goosewing or with spinnaker sail set up.
- Sea level half way (or 1/3) on the cover with a sailboat on top (reflecting the tip of the iceberg, and other symbols and struggles below (the search for a boat, packing, screening a boat, preparing, waiting, plastic element in the ocean (a bottle - perhaps modestly on the backcover)
- I like the idea of having multiple photos fading into each other: 1 sailing/the ocean, 1 adventurous girl of for example me in the mast or a back shot or side shot, 1 of an ocean reality (e.g. plastic bottle floating somewhere - very tiny), 1 of a preparation, and a sunrise/sunset photo.
- A full zoom out of the Atlantic with Europe on the (top) right on the frontcover and the Caribbean/Americas on the (bottom) backcover. One or a few tiny sailboats on the water, and a plastic bottle hidden somewhere too. If possible a little silhouet or fade of a traveller somewhere.
- Or just a big zoom out of water and a tiny boat sailing on the horizon.
- A collage of map illustration of the Atlantic + several photos
- Would love to see an element reflecting one can make difference for a healthy ocean / reflecting my environmental values and it's not just a travel guide for individual benefits. This must be secondary and very subtile. Only if it fits your design.
Good to know
- I’m very open to your creative ideas and skills
- Eventually I like to make a ‘series.’ (Hitch the Caribbean, Mediterenean, Pacific, world …) For the subtitle ' The complete Atlantic sailing Crew guide' you can choose to display 'Atlantic' or 'Atlantic Ocean' differently. Same style could then be used for the next book.
- I’ll publish an ebook and print. Frontcover has priority.
- Will also create merchandise.