Short story collection book cover
[author] Windsor Harries
- Create a cover for a speculative fiction ebook – collection of short stories.
- Looking for a simple, clean, bold, possibly minimalist and modern design – visually grabbing to stand out among competing thumbnails.
- It should use bold colours and strong, modern (preferably sans-serif) fonts. Above all else: something that grabs the eye.
- While I am open to illustrations/graphics as an element of the cover, I don’t want any image to be too dominating. I'm looking for something more abstract or impressionistic.
- Needs to look clear and text be legible as a thumbnail. Should be high contrast to be legible in black-and-white, but emphasis is on viewing in colour.
- The subtitle and author font can be significantly smaller font size than that used for the title.
- Final dimensions: 2500 pixels tall x 1562 pixels wide. 300 pdi. Cover only (no dustjacket, back cover, etc. required). Final .psd file with layers to be provided upon winning the contest.
- Please ensure any images used in the design are properly documented with rights permissions when you submit the design.
- All the stories in the collection deal with 'average' people in extraordinary circumstances, fish out of water situations, people unexpectedly caught in foreign territories, unconventional situations, stranger in a strange land, their 'regular' lives disrupted, etc
- I'd like this idea of a rift, disruption, shift, dislocation, (etc) integrated into the cover art (but it doesn't need to be very explicit - I'm a big fan of subtlety!)
- while the stories are speculative fiction/sci-fi, I am NOT looking for a ‘typical’ sci-fi cover. Any covers with overt sci-fi themes (starscapes, space scenes, planets, spaceships, aliens, etc) will be rejected. Similarly, I don't want a cover that is predominantly black/very dark. (See above link for a sample of what's out there now - I don't want this to look like every other cover...)
- I respect original ideas; any overt ‘copies’ of other artist’s submissions will also be rejected.
I'm open to lots of different ideas (even if they perhaps contradict the above brief, so long as there's some creative thought behind the idea): Surprise me!!!
In short, I’m looking for a cover that I’d like to hang on my living room wall as art. Something out of the ordinary and eye-grabbing.
Good luck, and don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions. Thank you.