Lots of info/ideas here – don’t feel obliged to listen to all of it (or to all the sliders above!), just take anything that inspires you and run in that direction!
Genre: YA urban fantasy. Modern with a fantastic twist – clash between modern and fantasy. Style could be strongly retro, strongly modern, or fusion of both. Don't want a design which points strongly at a single genre (e.g. fantasy, thriller, high school) but a design which fuses these genre cover tropes could be good.
Mood: Upbeat, lighthearted, dark comedy - v playful or v serious could both work
Design: needs to be reasonably simple/clear for readability as a thumbnail - Kindle is my main market. A single, clear image or design that pops out at a small size is perfect. Generally prefer stylized / hand drawn / visual art effects over photorealism. I also lean towards two-dimensional images that work entirely at the book's surface (see examples I uploaded).
- Identity theft! Faceless or somehow shifting figure.
- Magic in modern context - e.g. a wand crossed with a gun, wand shooting bullets / gun shooting sparks, etc. Could create a thriller-style image featuring magic, or a fantasy-style image featuring thugs.
- Thefts of ancient magical books. Sinister books bleeding ink, ripping apart, etc.
- Libraries with enchantments
- London. Specific locations: Highgate Cemetery, British Library, Bodleian, Kensington mansion, Highgate/Hampstead, St Pancras station
- Theatre masks – lots of sinister masked figures in identity parade or similar
Dimensions: Standard Amazon thumbnail/paperback dimensions please!
This is the first book in a planned series. I'm looking for a design with a distinctive style that carries across each book - and would love to find a designer I can continue to work with for those future designs!