I would like the application icons for our "DataGlass" line of apps re-designed. The current icons for the 7 apps can be seen at the bottom of our homepage at <http://www.impathic.com>.
I have a very specific design in mind:
1. The Apple guidelines for app icons should be followed: <http://developer.apple.com/library/…mages.html>
2. I would like the icon to perfectly fill the rounded bounds of the available icon space and not have any border. Examples for this technique of icon design can be seen at: <http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/comi…90983?mt=8>, <http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/webt…07564?mt=8>, and <http://itunes.apple.com/es/app/defi…61773?mt=8>
3. The icon itself should be based on the standard database triple cylinder motif (e.g., see the entries for our first icon contest at <https://99designs.com/buttons-icons/contests/iphone-ipad-icon-database-app-50429>)
4. Getting #2 and #3 to look nice together will be tricky, since it will require that the cylinder segments aren't perfectly rounded. This is one area where I expect different tricks and styles to be experimented with.
5. I would like there to be a single base icon design, but different color themes for each of the 7 database apps. The color schemes should be similar to the themes of the home pages for each of the databases. The colors don't need to match exactly, but they should be used as a guideline:
MS Access: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/
MS SQL Server: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/…fault.aspx
IBM DB2: http://www.ibm.com/software/data/db2
6. In addition to the different color themes per database described in #5, I think it would look nice if there was a little square section in the center of the icon that contains a miniature logo of the database. For example, the MySQL app would have the logo <http://www.mysql.com/favicon.ico> in the center. The square in the center could have a nifty effect like appearing to be raised, or the logo could look engraved or embossed.
7. I would prefer the icons to be in a vector graphics format (e.g., .ai, .eps, or .pdf).