In our augmented reality app, virtual baseball players appear on a real baseball diamond. A video of the app is available at:
We would like to enter the Japanese baseball market, but our prospective clients have told us they would like to see some different kinds of virtual baseball players that might better appeal to a Japanese audience. In particular, they are looking for baseball players that are even more cartoon-ish than what we have already, similar to ones that might appear in popular Japanese animation, comics, or games.
So the goal of this project is to produce a baseball player design concept that would better appeal to a Japanese audience. Although this project should focus on a baseball player, we will also eventually branch out to other sports, such as soccer, so the style/appearance of the player should be applicable to other sports as well when wearing different uniforms/equipment.
We are looking for something cute, with some kind of face (so it can be expressive), and distinctive/unique. It is probably best not to be animals outright, since baseball teams (our customers) will likely have animals for mascots and we will not want to conflict or be mistaken for those. But maybe the characters could have some animal characteristics.
The following are some ideas, but please do not feel limited by these options.
- Here are a variety of characters popular in Japan:
- The following is a baseball app that was popular in Japan. Note that the characters are very abstract. We do not want to copy them, but we are open to innovative ideas like this:
- an origami being (this could be especially cool because some animations could involve refolding in some way) (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1…kOnJuRWrqc)
- a being somehow composed of Japanese calligraphy (https://www.google.com/search?q=jap…70&bih=618). The being would not need to be a particular word, just brushstrokes of that style.
- beings made of a classical element (i.e. water, fire, earth, air), particularly if they are evocative of traditional Japanese art (water for example: https://www.google.com/search?q=jap…70&bih=618. Might be cool to have one player be water and another be fire.
- cute robots
- a being made of "energy", maybe lightning bolts or something else
- a stick figure of some kind
- expanding on that, maybe a stick figure made of chopsticks and maybe a face (or other body parts) of some kind of food, like sushi or noodles. Different players could be different kinds of food.
- Something plant-like, such as bamboo or bonsai
Of these, the origami, calligraphy, and chopstick figure seem most original to me, but I'd love to see examples of the others too. Or if you have some other ideas like those, feel free to submit them as well.
The deliverables are some concept art images, preferably as Photoshop files.