Refine & animate a character for an iOS basketball game
We are looking for a designer/animator to refine a preexisting character design. We want the final character to stick closely to Exhibit B1, but fit the exact style of the characters in Guacamelee (see Exhibit C).
- Facial features should match that of the avatar provided (Exhibit A)
- Body proportions should match that of Exhibit B1
- The character should be wearing a black tank top, black compression shorts peeking out from underneath a pair of red gym shorts, white socks, and 2-tone sneakers (red upper and white soles) (same as exhibit B1)
- We want the overall look to be minimalistic. The characters should be made up of mostly simple geometric shapes rather than overly realistic proportions (again, like the "Guacamelee" character in Exhibit C).
Colors, style, and shading:
- The color palette should be mostly pastel/muted colors with one pop color (red in this specific character’s case)
-Even though the game will be built in a 3D engine, we want the look to be relatively flat with very minimal shading (please refer to the Guacamelee character model for reference - exhibit C)
Animation and movement:
-The most important aspect of this contest is the smoothness of the animation and how well the player model mimics real-life basketball movements of NBA players.
Here are a few GIFs for your reference:
(Ignore the start and finish of the gif animation - concentrate only on the actual drive itself for your purposes)
The final submission should include 8 animations total:
1. Standing dribble (the player is standing still while dribbling, in the exact same pose as shown in the mock) - animation should be on a loop
2. Dribble drive / dribbling forward with the right hand (ball on the same side as the camera) - animation should be on a loop
3. Dribble drive / dribbling forward with the left hand (ball opposite to the camera) - animation should be on a loop
4. Overhead pass
5. Retreat dribble / dribbling backward (for examples of the retreat dribble, please watch from the :20 to :40 second mark of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUm0ul4taE - animation should be on a loop
6. Layup from drive - the animation should start with the ball being held at chest level. The animation should look smooth transitioning from the animations for driving left and right.
7. One-handed dunk from drive
Thanks and we look forward to seeing your submissions.