Halloween Costume Brief
The Costume; Two Parts:
THIS CONTEST WILL BE DEALING WITH ONLY THE MASK (1). ANOTHER CONTEST WILL BE FOR THE REST OF THE BODY / COSTUME (2).
1. The mask; which we’ll take your illustrations and turn to reality via latex for the mold, vacuform for eyes, hair, etc, etc.
2. The body; whether how the 4 legs/stilts will be covered and utilizing what material as recommendation, or if there will be any mandibles, antennas and/or extrusions and from where, and/or what will I be covered with as not to show my actual body (legs, arms, etc).
Kind of Costume:
Although it all starts with the mask and the “body” follows; the costume can be any of the following; Creature, Undead, Alien, Mutant or Aquatic. But if you ask me, I’m leaning towards Creature as I believe this can give you the maximum amount of creative space.
The costume shouldn’t be too heavy, as I’ll be on stilts all night and I should be able to rest every now and then (and drink beer!!), so if the costume is too complicated and/or intricate I won’t be able maneuver nor rest – whether resting against the wall or sitting on a high bar stool, please keep this in mind.*
Stilts, Angle and Height:
I will be making stilts as per below pics, so I’ll be at least 7 feet tall +, which means I’ll be a “slow creature” as I’ll be wading / wafting through the crowd(s), so do keep that in mind while you brainstorm the costume. I don’t / won’t necessarily have the foam sides, but I leave that up to you, as it depends on the final Creature you come up with.
Also to keep in mind is my body angle on the stilts, as I cannot possibly keep my head looking forward all the time due to my body being almost horizontal to the floor, so my neck will get (quite) tired and I’ll end up somewhat looking down after a while, especially with a mask on, although we’ll try to alleviate this by making the mask clip to my back versus having hanging dead weight; and making the front stilts a bit higher, but of course this will come at the cost of being less balanced and prone to falls.
So having big eyes, a massive mouth, etc, where I can see through at any angle is just an idea.
THIS CONTEST WILL BE DEALING WITH ONLY THE MASK (1). ANOTHER CONTEST WILL BE FOR THE REST OF THE BODY / COSTUME(2 &3). THE BELOW IS JUST FYI SO YOU CAN HAVE THE HOLLISTIC IDEA FOR THE NEXT CONTEST AND TO KEEP THINGS IN CONTEXT .
1. Final mask sketch with its final illustrated model detailing everything you have in mind. This sketch / model is what we’ll use to create the final mask.
2. Final costume sketch with its illustrated model detailing everything you have in mind.
3. Recommendations for which materials to be used for the costume; everything should be found off the shelf and not too complicated to create / make and/or held in place.
Ultimately the burden falls on us to bring this creature to life, but it’s through your creative direction and vision that we can make it happen.
*This part will be for contest number two; for the body / costume.