One of my projects is the 'Grapplearts Radio Podcast', which is mainly focussed on the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Mixed Martial Arts crowd. Currently my icon is me in a white gi and black belts.
I have, however, recently rebranded this podcast to be 'The Strenuous Life Podcast, with Stephan Kesting'. I still want to appeal to my martial arts audience but would also like to do about half of my podcasts with non-martial arts people (athletes, coaches, competitors in other sports) and so I need to change my icon.
My vision for this new icon is a stylised figure, similar to me but somewhat stylised so it's not a direct copy. Also younger, a bit more muscular, and
I think what I want is a stylized, shaved head, person (vaguely but not exactly like me) straining to push apart and break a couple of pillars on either side of him. This is essentially a Samson motif.
In that image the Samson figure would be wearing a stylised white tunic that would be reminiscent enough of a judo gi (Judo outfit) so that people who do martial arts would recognise it, but not so obvious that non martial artists would be put off by it.
I have included some images to give you a sense of what I want...
1) My current icon for my Grapplearts Radio Podcast (the one I want to replace)
2) A Samson image. I generally like the stance of the Samson, but his arms should be bent to make this a more effective app icon (i.e. fit into a square space). That being said, I do NOT like the actual drawing style used in this image; it needs to be less cluttered and more stylised
3) Another Samson image - I like the style and look of the pillars breaking, although they should probably be somewhat thinner to make the image work in the square
4) This is a rough idea of what the drawn figure would look like (note a highly stylised gi, looking more like the tunic in picture 1 than a regular gi). Also the flames in the background are too large, but I like the black, red and yellow colors. Perhaps more of a flying-sparks image as in the next attachment (the fall of Rome podcast icon). Also the pillars should probabaly be 10 to 20% narrower so that the whole image it fits into a square icon better. And of course the text (The Strenuous Life or Strenuous Life Podcast) need to fit in there somewhere too.
5) This is an icon for another podcast that I really like. The color scheme of the marble pillars and the burning background is perfect, and I think we should probably try to do something like that.
6) I'm not sure, but I think it would work if the figure was slightly on the art deco side. The attached image (6) is actually a bit too art deco - it should still be semi-recognisable as me - but it gives you an idea of what I'm thinking about. If you have a different style in mind that could work too though