We need an eye catching icon for our popular Alphabet learning app. The app is well established and already has an icon, but it is very simple and we're looking for a refresh.
The apps name is "Match and Play", and is published on the Google Play marketplace. The app helps kids to learn their alphabets and spelling by showing them letters in one part of the screen and the "shadows" of those letters in another part of the screen. The shadows spell out a word, and the kids need to drag the letters from one part of the screen to their corresponding shadows until they make a whole word.
Our app can be found here:
Because we are trying to appeal to kids, we have decided that we might want a "cute" character in the icon that appears to be playing/holding/etc with flashcards. We would prefer the character to be a cute animal, such as a bear, or a lion, or something else. We'll leave it up to you to come up with a cute "character".
Below are the types of characters that should NOT be used (because our other apps already use one of these):
- no human baby
- no penguin
- no teddy bear
- no tiger
- no squirrel
any other animal is fine.
We have included some examples we have included do have a cute animal in it. Such as a panda. We would like a DIFFERENT animal than what is in the examples. The main criteria is that the animal is cute and will appeal to kids.
You can take a look at some of our other app icons here:
That shows what we're after.
The "pose" of the character itself should convey the idea that they are "excited" to be engaging with the viewer. So perhaps they might have their mouth open, almost like they are saying "LOOK AT ME!"... or they might be jumping towards the viewer. Something like that to give the character more engagement and excitement when the viewer looks at the icon.
Also, the app is focused on teaching kids spelling/letters ... so we'd like you to incorporate the "ABCs" in some way that shows that it is a letters/spelling teaching game.
There are a few additional things we would like in addition to the main concept of a "character/animal". The additional things are as follows:
1. The color scheme must be bright and colourful. The colors you use should compliment each other. Note that just because we say "colorful" does NOT mean you should use EVERY color. You can have a colorful icon without needing to use too many colors. Please make sure to use colors which compliment each other.
2. An idea for the icons border might be in a square, rounded border. You will notice that many of our icons are square shaped with rounded borders.
3. Please bear in mind that the icon WILL BE SCALED DOWN TO 46x46 on most devices (phones). So please take a look at your design at this size before submitting. All the elements should still be easily visible when the icon is scaled down to this size. So please make sure that each element in the icon stands out when reduced to this size, and if necessary try not to include too many elements in the icon as they will be hard to see when the icon is so small.
Feel free to ask us more questions if you need. We look forward to seeing what you come up with!
The deliverables we expect should include:
1. The original format of the file used to design the icon (Photoshop or Illustrator or otherwise file)
2. PNG version at 1024x1024 resolution (or if this is not possible then please confirm with us the highest resolution you can provide)
We might ask for anything else that you used to produce the icon.