I want a breathtaking illustration of a sweeping landscape featuring two hopeful heroes starting out on their big adventure. This illustration will be used as the cover of my faerie tale novel, Rootless. I want the overall feel of the illustration to be bright, open, and airy. I want the cover of this book to stand out for being beautiful rather than dark and edgy.
I would like the dimensions of the illustration to be 22” wide by 11” tall. The landscape should transition from a sunlit forest on the left side to sun-drenched, rolling plains with a castle on the right side. (Please see Attachment 1 for exact measurements.)
For the forest on the left side:
• I would like large trees with twisting trunks to dominate the view.
• There should be a clearing in middle of the trees where sunlight illuminates the ground.
• It would be great if some of the tree limbs could look like arms and if one of those arms ended in a cluster of branches that looks like a hand.
For the transition between the forest on the left side and the grassy hill on the right side:
• I would like the transition to be abrupt.
• The tree line ends and the grassy clearing begins right in the middle of the illustration.
For the rolling plains on the right side:
• I would like the two heroes walking across a grassy clearing in the foreground.
• The grass is almost knee high and is deep gold in color.
• In the background, I would like a distant view of sweeping farmland rising to a hill topped by a castle-city.
• The city should have an outer wall and an inner castle covered with lots of towers and parapets.
• Above the castle, I would like a bright day with blue skies and white fluffy clouds.
For the heroes on the right side:
• Rrrwin is an Arborigine (tree person) planted in a large, handmade bucket sitting atop a handmade wagon (so he looks like a woody torso sticking out a plant pot).
• Rrrwin has thick, brown bark for skin and he has shoulder branches and head branches that sprout green leaves.
• I would like Rrrwin to be pointing excitedly at the castle in the distance and looking over at Everett to make sure he is seeing it.
• Everett is an average 16-year-old boy with shaggy, blonde hair and blue eyes.
• He carries his father’s woodcutting ax in a sling on his back and he is wearing clothes his mother sewed for him.
• Everett is walking with a normal stride, pulling the wagon, and looking back to talk to his friend.
Please see Attachment 2 for a more detailed description of the illustration (including my terrible sketches for layouts).
Lastly, please keep in mind that this is a faerie tale filled with magic and miracles. Wherever possible I would like to hint at the numinous reality contained within the book.