Our new website will be launched in April next year and it is going to feature an animation on the homepage. The animation is a story about how people meet on our website. This is not a traditional how to video its more about creating an interesting and entertaining story which makes the viewer feel:
- At home on the website, they can identify with the story and characters because its essentially about them
- Gives them some insight into the process they will follow on the website without being a stale boring how to video
- Its entertaining, engaging, sharable
- It takes our website and brand from being more than a functional listing website - it gives it some more personality and character.
The story will be about 20-30sec and be along the lines of:
- Red character is walking along and sees one of our billboards pulls out phone and creates a property listing
- Blue character sees another sort of advert and jumps on the computer and finds red's advert
- They chat on the messaging system and arrange a viewing
- They meet at the house for a view, get on well and agree to move in
- See blue moving his stuff in with red helping and then they have a little welcome party with all their friends getting along
- See blue and red going to bed in their separate rooms with smiles on their faces and the light switches off
- Video loops through with the two characters happily asleep in their beds while the website visitor continues on to use the website to browse/create listings and "start their version of the story"
The story line is very simple but the personality of the characters, the details (bike they ride, cute little pet or the way they move etc) will make the story interesting, entertaining and engaging.
What we are looking for from you is inspiration for who these characters are and how the look - this is a couple of static drawings not animation work.
There are two characters in the video, one is in some way blue (looking for a room) and other is in some way red (offering a room). These colours relate to the colours which will identify the two different types of listings on the website.
They will play out a scene on a plain background with just themselves and props to enhance the story. We image they are really simple and not overly detailed. The characters need to be:
- Relatable to anyone using the site - this is a story about our users so they need to identify with them. The majority of our users are between 20 and 35 but we have many people much older included retired people using the site. We also have people from just about every country and cultural background around the world on the site at some point so the characters need to connect with anyone.
- They need to be happy and fun and lovable but not childish. Moving house is a very stressful time for many people so they need comfort and reassurance. Where you live is important so at the same time the characters need to be trusting and real.
- Suitably represent the brand.