MISSION: “Friends of the Eastern Promenade is non-profit, community organization committed preserving the Parks significant historic public landscape, protecting its environmental integrity, and enhancing recreational use.
The Eastern Promenade
• 68 acres perched on the eastern tip of the Munjoy Hill neighborhood on the Portland, Maine peninsula.
• Olmstead designed park – (such as Central Park and Boston Commons)
• Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
• Features island-studded, panoramic views of Casco Bay; includes watching ferries, lobster boats, tugboats, tankers, sail boats and cruise ships which frequent Portland’s harbor.
• Nature trails & walking traverse the entire circumference of the prom, providing critical links to urban destinations and other trail networks within the city and beyond
• Home to numerous historic monuments, including: the War of 1812 Cemetery, the Cleeves & Tucker Monument; USS Portland, USS Maine Cannon, 911 Memorial and the iconic bandstand overlooking Casco Bay
• Tree lined walkways provide benches along the way
• Destination for runners, walkers, Duckboats, Horse drawn carriages, tour buses sightseers, City events, cyclist, cross country skiers, the annual swim events
• Kayaking, Stand up paddling; sculling, rowing, windsurfing and recreational boating are available at East End beach within the Park.