What is the definition of ‘other’? Well it actually has more than one definition:
1. being the one (as of two or more) remaining or not included
2. not the same
3. disturbingly or threateningly different : ALIEN, EXOTIC
4. used to refer to a person or thing that is different or distinct from one already mentioned or known about.
Each of these definitions have something inherently negative in its meaning. ‘Other’ also accurately depicts the feeling that many women, people of color, LGBTQ persons feel when navigating their worlds. The level of strength one must develop and maintain is not inconsiderable. They can make great entrepreneurs but often have little to no access to venture capital funds nor access to strategic thinkers to help their business succeed.
Other Ventures was founded to address both of those problems. Focused on helping ‘The Others’ with seed funding and strategy designed to propel them from seed stage to next level success.
Our mission is to give a leg up to those people who are often times marginalized by the venture community and who have the makings of a successful, scalable business but don’t have access to strategy and/or funding.
Our approach will be to identify companies against a set of criteria:
• Founders who are serious and committed to executing in their business (no lifestyle, no hobby)
• Founders who recognize they cannot do this themselves, and are both open to and can benefit from bringing in expertise, additional resources, and being challenged (we cannot work with defensive founders who cannot be challenged)
• Businesses which already have revenue, product, or a stable executable differentiated concept
• Businesses that serve a sector, industry, or segment currently under-served, with products which are poorly fit for purpose
• Inherently businesses that, with the right configuration, resources, and people, can scale to $50M+ of revenue