"Customers" is aimed at small to medium business owners who are interested in finding ways to find, attract and nurture customers.
It should be clean and corporate so that it sits well alongside international brands such as marketing magazine, forbes, entrepenuer, ted talk etc, but also the personality of the brand should convey young, fun and friendly. One such logo which does this well is Google (also Apple).
The website for this brand will be customers.com.au so the brand will need to be flexible enough to read as "customers" but also "customers.com.au"
The brand will initially only be seen in electronic communications and websites. The website will initially be a blog/magazine but eventually providing access to tools, forums and experiences that helps business owners find, attract and cultivate their own communities of fanatic customers.
------------------ UPDATE ------------------
Most designers have wanted to change one of the letters into an icon. The problem is when I make the logo really small, it makes the word unreadable because the word is missing a letter OR the icon becomes so small that you really can't make out what the icon is.
I don't know too many corporate logos which have one of their letters changed to an icon. Usually the icon sits next to the word mark. Take a look at the top 50 brands and see for yourself that this design choice does not get used in large companies: https://www.screencast.com/t/TqegSHJYj
The link above showing all those logos is NOT for you to get inspiration from - I am not saying I like those logos - I am only showing you the top 50 companies for you to notice there are no logos which have a letter replaced with an icon. :)
I'll show you the logos I like further below.
I need a strong, bold, modern word mark that looks good really small and really large. I need a modern font that does not have sharp pointy bits on the font.
I'm looking for a flat design, corporate brand that looks good when seen next to big international brands, so that we also look like a big international brand.
I like the name customers all in lower case (not a capital C)
I like a bold font so that it is easy to see when you reduce it.
I don't like making one of the letters in the word an icon.
I really like minimalistic (meaning just basic - not much detail) OR something fun like a colourful cartoon.
I would prefer you NOT use the letter C as the graphic
I don't want cliche images such as rockets, magnets. charts or a maze for an icon
I really want a way to make this look young and trendy and so my feeling is that a splash of yellows or reds or some brighter happier colours could or should be present somewhere (a hint would be enough?) - that way we can incorporate those colours as solid panels of colour on the website of brochures or whatever down the track and it doesn't just stay all mellow and sad which is kind of where blues and greens take me.
Having said that blue is probably the best "corporate" colour which is why I am torn here. I don't know what will work best to have both corporate AND fun.
Here are some of the brands that inspire me - notice they are simple, clean and corporate:
These are in no particular order
1. Uber - simple typeface word mark and a seperate icon which can be used as an app icon.
2. Google - I like how Google has evolved over time to use their colours in several different ways. All their products use the same colours and they have a uniformity in their shapes and sizes.
3. Facebook - This is a strong word mark with an icon that can be used as an app.
4. AirBnb - strong word mark with an interesting simple icon in the shape of an A that can be used as icon or as a graphic for many things in the future. I also like the modern color backgrounds.
5. Salesforce - simple word mark with the f in salesforce leaning forward giving the feeling of forward movement. https://www.screencast.com/t/xP5PQDx3GU9
6. Slack - strong, bold word mark with an icon that has a simple, clean use of color in a very simple way. This allows for the use of color throughout all the design materials down the track. https://www.screencast.com/t/JvuwEhcQi
7. Evernote - I don't really like the font, but I do love the bold colour and the elephant icon with a page turn saying 'notes' and 'things to remember' in a very simple icon. https://www.screencast.com/t/AtChGC5ala
I hope that gives you a better feel for what I am looking for.