1. Needs to be a clean design that will carry over from print and web into merchandise like T-Shirts, hats, mugs, etc.
2. The main color should be black and I'm open to secondary colors that might look cool and can carry over well. There should also be a 1-color version that's easy to utilize when needed.
3. PLEASE NO GUN, CROSS HAIRS, or BULLET SHAPES IN THE LOGO AS WE WANT THIS LOGO TO STAND OUT AND BE TOUGH AND COOL LOOKING WITHOUT HAVING TO USE A TYPICAL GUN SHAPE. Also, please no Old English "D" as in the Detroit Tigers logo..need something original.
4. "Detroit Gun Works" has to be included in the logo so if you do a version with "DGW" than it still has to have the word mark applied.
5. Adjectives to communicate through the logo: Toughness, traditional, precision, attitude, hard working, old school meets new school.
6. Visual and history inspirations: Joe Louis Fist in Detroit (although we don't want to use the fist as the logo), rum running from the gangster time period across the Detroit River in Detroit, anti-establishment, not an "outlaw" but not a conformist, Harley Davidson, Mack Truck, Mustang Cars, blue collar union workers, etc.
7. Finally, we may use the tagline, "The Original Arsenal of Democracy" along with the logo so if there's a way to incorporate that into a version it would be great.
UPDATE: I have a Detroit Skyline EPS which may be cool to use with your logo concepts, but I'm unable to upload it for some reason so e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would me to send it to you to use in your design.