Primarily we'd like to lean towards a logo with a mascot / character that we can use throughout the site but we are open to alternatives. The logo must be wider than it is tall, for use on the site banner. Bonus points if the logo feel has some continuity from our current logo but a radical departure might be what we need.
We'd like the logo to translate well to a black and white version to be used on letterheads etc, and it will be a bonus if it can be used in a wide range of colours.
After this contest is over we will be conducting a contest for the web site design as well, so also bear that in mind if you do web site design.
Edit: Now that we have seen a number of examples we have further notes to provide on our preferred direction:
- The word Zazz needs to be highly prominent and readable from a distance. Some of the more abstract designs are very clever but we don't feel that we have enough market recognition to pull off a logo that isn't readable in an instant.
- We like the designs with the word ZAZZ in lettering that is all the same height. Wide lettering is preferred.
- If "Zazz" is prominent, then a smaller ".com.au" is preferred somewhere in the design, as opposed to having the word Zazz and then the full url zazz.com.au.
- Gradients and drop shadows are fine, as an example we like the lettering in #32. This 3D feel will extend to the overall feel of the web site in the next contest, but we feel that it's possible for the use of gradient to detract from the logo's readability. We will sometimes use the logo in monochrome and still want the readability to be unaffected.
- We're not completely married to the idea of a mascot / character, but some of the ideas are great. Our favourite by far is the bee in #17 and #18. The tricky part is the attitude balance. If we have a mascot we want it to feel helpful and playful, but not too cartoony and definitely not cheesy. I wish we could be more helpful with direction on this point, but "we'll know it when we see it". We prefer the animal or abstract character designs to the human character designs.
- Non-character designs based around the letter Z are welcome.