Full name: Rhizome Institute for the Future of Food
RIFF is a research, lab & incubator for projects, initiatives and businesses that will increase the sustainability of our (Canadian) food system. Sustainability refers to economic development (especially in rural, remote & marginalized communities), increasing access to healthy food & reducing negative environmental costs.
A 'rhizome' is a type of plant where the stem grows underground. It is highly networked & resilient (ginger, mint & aspen are examples). The largest organism on the planet is a rhizome - an aspen grove in Utah.
Rhizome is also a philosophical concept with principles of connection, diversity, and rupture & regrowth (among others).
RIFF itself is driven by impact (the ability to noticeably change the food system). To achieve this we will be networked, visionary & have unquestionable integrity.
We want to be known as being innovative, transparent and taking a positive (asset-based) approach.
We wish to convey creativity & playfulness, inclusivity & rigour (that we do serious work that is driven by data & research).
Our target audiences include:
- farmers & food entrepreneurs developing new ventures and new technologies
- unaccredited investors (ie. average people who have some money in their savings or retirement plans)
- institutional investors (ie. the people with access to capital greater - six figures or greater)
- government official, both mid & senior level bureaucrats and elected officials
- advocacy & academic organizations