PropertyHero is a new company that provides a web and mobile software solution that helps real estate property managers get organized and manage their buildings better.
This project is to create a company logo. I would expect that colors, graphical elements created as part of the logo to be used as a future basis for our to-be-developed website (next project).
The web-based software solution has the following functionality:
• Information Management. Store, manage and retrieve important information about your buildings, tenants, vendors and employees
• To Do Manager. Manage and remember all of the tasks and to-do’s associated with your tenants, employees and vendors.
• Tenant Portal. Private, password-protected website where your tenants submit service requests and view important building information.
• Building Maintenance. Manage all of your regular scheduled preventative maintenance tasks, as well as submitted service requests.
• Access Anywhere. With our web-based and mobile solutions, you can access your information whether you are in the office or on the road.
Property managers manage buildings, including managing relationships with tenants and vendors (HVAC, electricians). They are generally not the owners, but rather are hired by the owners to maintain the property and tenants. They are responsible for managing all building maintenance and tenant requests. The property management profession is not the most glamorous, and is often viewed as the lowest-rung of importance in the real estate industry.
Historically, software solutions for property management have been complex, difficult to use, serious, back-office and ‘corporate” feeling. This is especially true for the solutions geared for the very large property managers. The property management software market is very fragmented, with lots of players competing. Most companies are corporate-sounding in name and in messaging, and have a financial-services feel (think of a banking website). This credibility/seriousness is important for the larger property management customers. But none of the software companies have a strong, identifiable brand.
Target Market and Positioning
PropertyHero is targeting the smaller property management companies (consisting of 2-10 property management professionals per company).
We would like to have our offering and branding be differentiated from the other software companies in the space.
75% of smaller property managers do not currently use any software to manage their properties now (other than a Quickbooks accounting package), relying instead on paper lists and filing. So our goal will be to convince them to use our product versus their current non-software way of doing things now.
Characteristics of the Brand we would like to communicate
• Our vision: a younger, hipper property manager would be accessing our software application on an iPad or iPhone as he walks into a building he manages
• Need to have a strong differentiated brand
• web 2.0 –ish
• professional cool – iPad carrying
• easy to use
• the new way to do property management
That being said, still needs to be
• powerful (but not cumbersome)
• secure (since we are storing their critical data)
So can’t be “too cartoony” or will undermine credibility
PropertyHero, the Name
PropertyHero could be the character who helps the property manager achieve his goals, and manage his buildings better, easier, more efficiently. He also proactively helps by suggesting industry best practices, suggest upcoming tasks, reminds the property manager of important events and sits on the property manager shoulder guiding towards better ways to run the property manager’s properties.
Alternatively PropertyHero could be what using the software would turn the property manager into.
We like the first option best, but open to either.
Websites we like the feel of
Mint.com (good parallel, though a little “corporate feeling”)
hotpads.com (logo treatment)