Ulysses Holdings develops, finances, and supports high-growth companies through investments and professional support. UH is a long-term partner for the world’s most innovative entrepreneurs. Companies previously co-founded include: Adimab, Arsanis, Alector, Compass Therapeutics, Avitide.
Our goal is to develop a company logo to serve as our simple, clean, and professional corporate icon. We want a logo that illustrates our entrepreneurial and long-term mission. We are a team of successful entrepreneurs who have created companies that are worth billions of dollars today, AND we still love the work we do. We use our skills, capital and experience to start new companies and help existing companies do better. We only work on projects that meet three criteria: 1) the team must be solving an important problem, 2) the team is hardworking, highly ethical and focused on making the world a better place and 3) we believe Ulysses can make a difference through our hard work, not just our capital.
Logo Characteristics: We want a strong bird, in-flight, that does NOT have feet. We like simple logos, with clear lines that could be timeless/classic while also having a modern feel. Simple, modern (but not trendy/fad), leaves audience with just one thing to remember (simple), and distinct.
Ask: We want to re-imagine a martlet potentially by incorporating any other bird elements or other creative ideas you have. The footless martlet represents our entrepreneurial spirit and always working on meaningful projects, regardless of our previous successes.
We are envisioning a cross between the Great Gray Shrike (Lanius excubitor) and a martlet to bring in elements of the gray shrike such as the hooked beak, longer/flat tail. Be creative in imagining something, rather than being overly literal.
A martlet is a fictional bird that has no usable feet and is unable to land. Therefore a martlet is used in English heraldry as the mark of the fourth son. The first son inherited the estate, the second and third went to the church, and the fourth had no well-defined place. Because the fourth son received no part of the family wealth, he had to create his own way through his own hard work, effort and ingenuity. The martlet is a symbol of hard work, perseverance, and always looking forward to the next problem.
- Evokes movement without being “wispy” (striving, forward movement)
- Footless (like a martlet, always in flight and moving)
- Strong (not a delicate hummingbird or sparrow)
- In-flight, active, (may show wings from top, down, or side)
- Be able to be embroidered (minimum 1’’ without losing detail). This is our test that a logo is simple enough because embroidery can only really be done well with more simple logos.
- Simple, elegant.
- Timeless (but feel modern)
- Ability to adapt to different media (website, business cards, letterhead, sponsor list)
- Must work as a black and white logo (with grayscale acceptable) first. Note that we will add color later, after this contest.
- Be distinctive and easy to describe