Vamp: Where Monsters Come to Slay is an original burlesque-style musical theatre production, inspired by the seven deadly sins. This coming-of-age story follows a young woman as she navigates a realm of supernatural creatures on a journey to break free from her sheltered upbringing and find her true self. On her journey she is confronted in turn by the seven deadly sins, each represented by a classical monster, which help her uncover hidden truths within her. Set to some of the most popular pop, rock and hip-hop songs of the past decade, Vamp is a hysterical, heartwarming and sensual spectacular that will leave the audience on their knees begging for more.
The primary goal of the poster image is marketing - to sell tickets, attract large audiences and create a recognizable image for promotion and buzz. As an original story, we need a compelling and catchy image to attract attention and convince people that it is worth their time and money (it really is!).
The image should reflect the burlesque style:
- edgy, but not overtly sexual or explicit
- appropriate for public exposure, but a bit of an edge is good.
- a teaser, by hinting at the central concepts of the story
- dark supernatural realm with the bright, bubbly suburbia that the central character is trying to escape from.
- balance dark and edgy with lighthearted, irreverent and fun.
- We prefer deep/rich purple as the primary colour.
We have two possible directions for the image:
1. Close-up illustration of a vampire mouth, representing Vampira, the host who guides the central character on her journey through the supernatural realm. Mouth illustration was already purchased and is attached to this contest for use in the design, but we're open to other styles.
2. Abstractly portray all the creatures (listed below). It should be visually clean and somewhat minimal; maybe silhouettes or just a distinguishing feature for each creature.
Any stock imagery used should be consistent in style. If not free, we prefer to use Adobe Stock.
Creatures (and sins they represent):
- Frankenstein’s Monster - Sloth
- Zombies - Gluttony
- Vampires - Lust
- Werewolves - Greed
- Witches - Pride
- Ghosts - Envy
- Mummies - Vanity
- Clowns - Wrath
The 11x17 poster image should include the following show information, and be fully editable with font file(s) for edits and adjustments during production and to adapt to other formats.
- Stylized Title: VAMP
- Subtitle: Where Monsters Come to Slay (can be integrated into the title)
- Tagline: A Supernatural Musical Burlesque
- Dates: May 3 - 18, 2019
- Location: Performance Works, Granville Island
- Info & Tickets at http://www.toofly.ca
- Organization logo
- Small space for a few partner logos
Use of Image
The core poster image will be adapted for all marketing materials for the show, including transit shelter ads, social media, programs and merchandise. The image needs to be scalable up to transit shelter size, so vector format is preferred.
Past Show Poster
Attached only as an example of how we’ve previously included the above information and not necessarily indicative of the style, look or layout that we want for this design. Each show we produce is unique.