We are looking for a front cover image that would represent one or more of the book's core themes:
- machine learning (pattern recognition)
- large-scale datasets
- parallel/distributed computing
The book is academic in nature and is being published by an esteemed academic publisher. However, it is also aimed at experienced engineers interested in latest research directions. Hence, we would prefer the design to be reserved, yet convey the mind-blowing coolness of the book topics listed above (in a sober, sophisticated way, however). The best way to describe the audience would be: sophisticated, conservative, highly technical.
(1) We want a single, strong image rather than a collage. Many people will see the image as an amazon.com thumbnail, or as a postage-stamp-size icon in a catalog.
(2) Something snappy. We, the computer people, only remember one thing about the cover, and the image should focus on just that one thing.
One sample theme: a waterfall. It could be photo-realistic, could be "digital" (e.g., a flow of dots, maybe with a wireframe/mesh connecting the surface). It may be breaking up into multiple parallel streams. There could be color patterns developing on the flow of dots that look meaningful. If so, one option to portray the patterns is using color fields (looking like temperature/precip maps they show in weather forecasts)-- something like the following:
To make the example complete: waterfall represents massive amounts of flowing data, breaking into parallel streams represents distributed computing, the patterns are what is hopefully learned from data by algorithms.
The image should *not* be all of the things above -- a collage of everything would be too complex and not show well on small icons (see (1) and (2) above). The image should *not* resemble the imagery from "Matrix" -- reserved in this case means a more sober style and lack of resemblance to iconic science fiction imagery.
Again, this was just an example, we are counting on your creativity and talent to have much better ideas that conform to (1) and (2) above!
- We are looking only for the image -- the publisher is producing the final cover. However, please do keep in mind that the front cover will also have the book name ("Scaling Up Machine Learning: Parallel and Distributed Approaches") and names of editors: Ron Bekkerman, Mikhail Bilenko, John Langford.
- The publisher will need to control all rights for unlimited reproduction in print and online for mention in catalogs, and potential future use in reprints and possible repurposing as an e-book.
The book will have a trim size of 7 x 10 " (roughly 253 x 177mm) and will have a printed paper case. Therefore, to go full width it would need to be something like 7.75" x 11.5" or at minimum 3" x 5". The final image should be at least 300dpi, submitted in CMYK in the tiff file format. If a vector image is submitted it can be in EPS format.
We'll be happy to answer any questions and will try to provide feedback very quickly.