We are looking for a home page and a story page.
We have attached to mock-ups of them and here are our likes/dislikes about each page ...
Please take a look at the attached home page mockup.
We think we're close, but need some talent to make it great.
In general, we like the placement of the content, column layout and picture proportions. We like the cartoony feel and color scheme, but we're not wedded to the colors if something else looks better. It will be part of a responsive design.
Specifically, here's what we think of our current elements ....
1. LOGO: We're very happy with it, although you can change placement, orientation, etc.
1. TOP BANNER: We're "in like" with the top banner, but not necessarily in love with it, including the inclusion (or not) of the slogan up top.
2. TOP STORY: Overall, we're pretty good with this but welcome ideas.
4. MAIN STORIES: We like the photo placement and the right hand part of that section, which includes the headline, call to action and date. The "days" left element underneath the photos needs to improve.
5. PAST BLASTS: We're just okay with this section. It's basically a "best of" section from our past successes. We don't want to compete too hard with the main stories to the left, but it's a bit too much of a text wall right now. Ideas?
6. SEARCH, CONTACT, LEGAL: It could be better.
1. OTHER BLASTS: These stories will be scaled down from the main stories on the front page. It's "alright" looking now, but needs improvement.
2. ACTION BOX: This is arguably one of the most important parts of our site and needs to be an easy an persuasive way to encourage people helping. That help, depending on the story, will be through contributions or other ways to help, such as posting on FB, writing a letter, etc. The current box is pretty bland and needs to have more excitement.
3. COMMENTS: Don't change this.