1) Frontpage (current page http://aigamedev.com/)
Content by priority:
- Explain the site to new visitors at the top: access levels (free/Insider/PREMIUM), who the site is for (students/hobbyists, professionals, studios), what info/solution can be found where.
- Tease PREMIUM content & membership. Make it clear that there is a big library of content available.
- Emphasize community/interaction/discussion/events
- Overview over regular weekly columns (total of about 5 different per week with different access levels)
- Obvious “Live in…” or countdown button/area/section to advertise the free, weekly live online events.
- Sponsor buttons (125x125) or other size box in a similar style than other items featured on the front page.
2) Listing pages / category pages
current example eg: http://aigamedev.com/articles/
- List of articles/columns/features
- Filter by game genre/ reader expertise level, sorting by score/views/etc.
- Emphasize most recent article
- Show details inline w/ click expand
3) Individual article page:
The individual blog content page should include a main area for HTML content, and a sidebar (preferably on the right) with support elements.
- Good document structure (Usual content is text, video, pictures, supportive links, download supportive materials, comments): clear section headers, few subsections, table of content, outline.
- Clearly visible access level, expertise level.
- Links to related information on the website (other columns/features, same category of columns).
- Next step below article is obvious (what to do now, where to go, what to read next, sign-up free, etc.)
- Complementary info: article author, date, category.
- Sponsor area in the sidebar, including logo and short description/special thanks text.
- Discrete, informative (about e.g. the article), supportive of content in the main page, auxiliary, complementing (author biography, table of content, download metadata, dynamic section).
- Does not stand out or detract from the main content, colours and style chosen accordingly.
Footer/below main page area
- Related to content of the page: next step (other, popular, related), upsell to PREMIUM
- General: community (comments), about the company, the network (AiGameDev.com, gameaiconf.com, Ai Sandbox, etc.)
- Social media icons (facebook, twitter, IRC chat, LinkedIn,…)