Redesign the server dashboard content for a smaller width (from 920px to 715px) so to include the navigation sidebar on the left. Please refer to NEW_servers-width.png
We are looking for a design that will blend in with our redesigned interface, especially the sidebar.
We are not too attached to the OLD design (accordion) or content layout. We kind of like it, but there is lots of room for improvement. That said, feel free to submit radical redesigns if it improves or maintains function (ie. simple and clean, form follows function).
It must be easy to get an overview of all servers, such as label, status (visual) and associated hostname or IP address at a minimum. This is a requirement.
When displaying a specific server, the information and actions should ideally use the available space, while being balanced and not overwhelming.
Note that depending on the server status and/or configuration, not all information is available or relevant. The design should take this into account. For example:
- graphs are only available for servers running over 5 minutes.
- stopped servers don't have an IP address
- reserving an instance can only be performed once
- associating an elasticip can only be performed once
- disassociating elasticip only possible if already associated
- attached ebs volumes need to be displayed if any
See the attached "OLD" screenshots or interactive demo available at https://hub.turnkeylinux.org
Some random ideas (these are not requirements or requests, just ideas you might find useful when laying out the information/actions to take advantage of the space available):
* Combine related information:
- status + uptime - Running (3 days, 14 hours)
- monthly + hourly cost - $9.11 this month ($0.044/hour)
- instance size + ID - C1.Medium EBS-backed (i-827bfc45)
- public + private IP addresses
* Group related information and actions
- cost + reserve this instance
- ip address + associate|disassociate elasticip
- snapshots + clone this server
* Less important information
- server size
- server hardware
* Less important actions
- edit server label (should be easily visible as it is often used with newly launched servers, but only once)
- display console output (usually not used)
- appliance version (link to appliance information)
Seeing that the server dashboard is the most used page in the entire webapp, a bonus would be a coherent design language, so the concepts embedded in the design could translate or spill over to other pages.
We have lots of other pages that could use a designers touch. The winning designer will be invited to a 1-on-1.